Fennel & Sage Stuffing
- 1 1/2 lb (450g) stale bread, cut into cubes
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup (120ml) white wine
- 2/3 cup (150g) butter
- 1 bunch fresh sage, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Optional additions- dried cranberries,
bacon, sausage, pecans, walnut
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups (350ml) vegetable or chicken broth
1. If the bread is fresh put it on baking sheet and bake it at 250℉ until it is dry.
2. Place the bread into a bowl to cool and turn the oven up to 400℉.
3. Heat a large skillet up on med-high heat then add the oil, onion, fennel, and celery. Cook until softened (about 8-10 minutes) and then add the wine and cook another 2 minutes. Add butter and let it melt for about 2-3 minutes.
3. Turn the heat off and add the herbs, salt & pepper, and lemon zest. Add the vegetable mixture and any additional ingredients to the bread and mix together.
4. In a separate bowl whisk eggs and broth together and then pour this mixture into the bread bowl and combine.
5. Pour the mix into a large dish and press it down with your hands. Put it into the oven for 45-60 minutes or until the top is brown and crispy.